The Laguna Water Story

A pioneering public-private partnership, Laguna Water is a piped-water service provider created through a joint venture of the Provincial Government of Laguna (PGL) and Manila Water Philippine Ventures (MWPV), a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Ayala-led water industry leader, Manila Water Company. MWPV holds 70% of the company’s shares while PGL owns the remaining 30%. PGL oversees the company’s compliance with the prescribed service levels, while the National Water Resources Board (NWRB) regulates its tariff.

Laguna Water’s operations began as early as 2004; however, it was only in September 2009 that its operations took off enroute to becoming Laguna’s largest water service provider when MWPV acquired the stake of then AAAWater Corporation.

Prior to the takeover, Laguna Water had been plagued by limited service coverage, high system losses, dilapidated infrastructure, and poor water quality and service; residents had to endure the high cost of drinking water.

Over a period of five years, Laguna Water strived and succeeded in drastically improving service levels; thereby, ensuring that clean, safe, and affordable water is accessible to all.

  • Service coverage has increased from 14% to 65%. From 17,721 customers in 2009, Laguna Water is currently serving over 98,353 households.
  • Water supply has improved from 11 million liters per day (mld), to a staggering 100 mld made available to customers daily.
  • Uninterrupted water supply is available 24/7, at an average pressure of 15 psi.
  • System losses have been significantly reduced from 48% to 12%, which is way below the industry benchmark and one of the highest in the Southeast Asian region.
  • Compliance with water quality standards set by Department of Health and Philippine National Standards for Drinking Water has been consistently and strictly observed.

In 2014, Laguna Water started providing used water services to industrial customers as it took over the operations of the Sewerage Treatment System of the country’s premier industrial estate, Laguna Technopark, Inc.

Used water services shall likewise be made available to the residents of Laguna given the recent amendment to the concession agreement authorizing Laguna Water to provide waste water and related services throughout the province. The Septage Management Project is well underway and is expected to be completed by 2017. Furthermore, Laguna Water is coordinating with the Toilet Board Coalition for the development of the Portable Toilet Solution, an initiative aimed at providing Laguna’s poorest with access to hygiene and sanitation services.

As a result of Laguna Water’s strong performance, the concession area has been expanded as well from the 3 cities of Biñan, Santa Rosa, and Cabuyao to the entire province covering 27 other cities and municipalities.

Making the best of its concession, Laguna Water aims to leave its mark by fortifying Laguna’s water and used water infrastructure through the development of a centralized water system as well as a network of sewerage and septage treatment facilities. It also intends to empower communities through programs such as Tubig Para sa Baranggay (Water for the Poor), Lingap Eskwela (Water and Sanitation for Public Schools), Kabuhayan Para sa Baranggay (Livelihood Program), among many others.

In the end, the measure of Laguna Water’s success is the realization of our vision “to provide the province of Laguna with water and used water services which will empower people, protect the environment, and enhance sustainable development.”

We understand how water is a catalyst for progress. Our commitment is to provide quality water and used water services to usher inclusive development and ensure sustainability to propel Laguna into the ranks of the nation’s metropolitan centers.